Wednesday, December 12, 2012

I hope I don't have my head bitten off for this...


I have a Menorah on my mantle and the Star of David on my Christmas tree.  I am not Jewish.  My husband is not Jewish.  Therefore, my sons are not Jewish.  Yet, there are at least three Stars of David on my Christmas Tree and a Menorah {made from paper } propped up on my mantle...the very same mantle that our Christmas stockings hang from.

And yet, there it is.

I'm not freakin' out.  My kids haven't started wearing yamakas and speaking Yiddish.


All of these religious symbols were made at school.  Made at the school my children attend.  A public school.  "Separation of Church and State" has been slung around so much this month, with ever increasing ferocity each "Holiday Season" { as it is now called } that I want to vomit.  The Separation of Church and State is not even in the Constitution of the United States of America, yet people throw it around willie nillie any time God is written or uttered in a government run something or other. 

The First Amendment does, however, play off of it Jefferson's phrase "Church and State":  "Conrgress Shall make no law respecting an  establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free  exercise thereof."  I'm not sure how that translates into we have to paint the country grey and strip each citizen of its heritage and traditions, but really, isn't that what is being done when we hideaway any semblance of any celebration?  

A Christmas Tree was taken out of an RMV because it offended someone.  Seriously, if any place in this country needs some holiday cheer, it's the RMV!  The annoyed people are a little bit right.  America is not a 100% Christian-Jesus-Loving country.   In the world, there are as many ways to believe and not believe as there are countries in the world.   I'm pretty sure there is probably representation of each of them right here in this country.  After all, that is why America is called the "melting pot".   What the separation of Church and State means, the reason that we have it that is, is the reason the Englishmen left England.  The Church of England was forcing their religion on everyone. 

Over the past few weeks, I have heard some wild and crazy things.  You'd think it was a real life skit with Steve Martin and Dan Aykroyd writing the news stories.  Frosty the Snowman was put in the Manger of a Nativity Scene?  Are you kidding me?  Below are a few arguments I've read or heard for taking holiday celebrations out of schools.

Religion has no place in school. 

The thing about religion is that it is intertwined into the fabric of our lives.  Wars are fought over it.  Songs are sung in praise of it.   Literature is inspired by it.   Whether or not you believe in God and how you believe in God is irrelevant to that fact that people do.   Many, many people do.   You can't teach history without talking religion.

The religion we practice is different than the ones they are teaching/celebrating at school.  My children will be confused.  { she specifically used Christian-Jewish example }

Really?  A Menorah is going to confuse your kids?  I'm pretty sure that Jesus was Jewish and it's actually nice to discuss Jesus and his past.  Doesn't our past shape the person we are today?  Tell your children about the miracle of light and the symbolism of the candles.  Sheesh!

Well, we don't believe in God.  At all.  I don't want my kids learning about the baby Jesus.   

Ok.   Not learning about the baby Jesus isn't going to make the baby Jesus go away.   And if they don't practice anything, then how is learning about someone else's faith going to confuse them?

During this Holiday Season, we have the culmination of so many celebrations.  Hmm, something about that longest, darkest, day and light coming into the world that seemed to be a good time to place God.  God is light.  Light is Good.  God is Good.   However simple it needs to be explained.  

What we have during this month of December is a tremendous opportunity to learn.  We can learn about Christmas and how Christians celebrate.   We can learn about Hanukkah and how it is celebrated.  There is Kwanza, The Winter Soltice and Bohdi Day as well.   And please, don't forget the Festivus for the Rest of Us.   Education leads to understanding and where else should we teach children about other cultures and the ideas and faith that they hold dear?  I think school seems like a pretty good place to start.   

Erasing celebrations doesn't increase tolerance, education does.  Learn about your neighbor, love your neighbor, whether they are Jewish, Muslim, Christian, Buddhist,  Pagan, or Atheiest.   We can coexist.

No comments:

Post a Comment