Thursday, January 3, 2013

In Search of Purpose...

I spent the weekend hanging out with the Flu.  I tried to ignore him on Friday afternoon, in hopes that he would just go away, but eventually I just swung the door open and let him in.  In between carting the boys to music lessons & friends' houses, topped off by raiding the cold and flu aisle for nyquil {which had been completely picked over} we spent much of the weekend on the couch.  Mr. Flu slowed down my weekend considerably.  And considering that the weekend is my time to catch up on the house keeping, well, now it looks like the apocalypse did happen, just a bit later than anticipated. 

Although, I didn’t clean the house, I think I cleared out some cobwebs in my mind.  The movie Hugo was on and even though it didn’t make much sense that there two kids were running around Paris speaking in a British accent, the rest of the story was quite moving.  I really, really liked it.  In fact, I watch the movie twice over the weekend.  I keep thinking about what Isabelle mused about her life:

“I wonder what my purpose in life is?” Isabelle asked Hugo after he said:

Everything has a purpose, clocks tell you the time, trains take you to places. I'd imagine the whole world was one big machine. Machines never come with any extra parts, you know. They always come with the exact amount they need. So I figured if the entire world was one big machine... I couldn't be an extra part. I had to be here for some reason. And that means you have to be here for some reason, too.”   

I have often wondered what I am supposed to be doing with my life.  I have read that God’s gift to us is our talent and how we use it is our gift to him.” 

What is my talent?  How am I supposed to use it?  What is my purpose in life?  

As I grow closer to what I consider the halfway point of my life {40 years old} I spend more and more time thinking about what I should be doing with my life.  What legacy will I leave for my boys?  How will I be remembered?  Will I leave my mark or just fade away?  Am I just floating through life or really living it?  I often feel panicky about it.  Life’s like that damned hourglass glued to the table, I fret that I am running out of time.  How does one make their life truly meaningful?

Do I need to invent something?

Should I earn pile of money?

Have I been to X amount of countries?

Tasted Z amounts of food?

Am I contributing to the greater good?

Purpose, purpose, purpose.  What am I doing on purpose and how am I contributing to making the world work and whirl along?   This is something I think about often.   

The boy in the movie, Hugo, discovered his purpose in life was fixing things and eventually that meant fixing people.  At a young age he realized his purpose and claimed it and clung to it.  He embodied it.  It defined him. 

All of this reminds me of what  I wrote about in my very first post.  I need a focus.  I am so glad to have been reminded of that.   

to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment