Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Where was God? or Where were you?

Where was God??? 

You always hear that question asked after a tragedy; after a child dies senselessly.  When people suffer, they ask.  When animals are tortured, people inquire.  It isn’t always asked by the non-believer’s with their sarcastic, “see God doesn’t exist” tone, but frequently by those who have spent their life believing.  I was one of those people once.  I have asked that heart wrenching question so many times.  I asked it when a classmate was killed by a drunk driver.  I asked it when my friend drown the day before my graduation from high school.  I asked it when another classmate passed after her long battle with leukemia.   

Where was God? Why did God let that happen?

I gave up on asking that question because it was never answered.  Attending Mass didn’t answer it for me.  Prayers didn’t heal me.  God was elusive.  I tossed that bible so far from my reach that I didn’t know where it had landed. 

But.

Somehow.

Someway.

I

Figured

It

Out

And

Yesterday, I did not ask where God was.  I did not need to.  I saw him everywhere after those explosions.  He was wearing a cowboy hat and tending to the wounded.  She was pushing a wheelchair.  He drew his weapon.  He tended to a fallen runner.  He gave blood.  She hugged her friend.   God was there with courage as he looked in trash barrels for more bombs.  God was there with quick thinking in tying tourniquets, feeding people, offering them places to sleep and setting up phone lines to call loved ones.  We were praying and channeling energy our to the cause and God was everywhere he was able to be.  God is the light that shines through us.  If you want to see God, then be God.  He is the good in the face of evil - but he works his magic through us.  We are "God" and we are here to be the good that we want to see in the the world.  

The answer to, "Where was God?" is  "Where were you?" 

Evil will always try to wiggle its way in, but Good will smother it out. Thank God for Good <3


3 comments:

  1. A finish line is a powerful place...it's where the tears shed are supposed to be joyful ones. I cried while reading your post...I guess it reminded me of allot of things I too have questioned. <3 Renewed Faith in Humanity <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Meg! It's been a long road for me to figure out "Where God Is?", but finally it's been clicking. We can never let evil win. We must be the Good.

      Delete
  2. *She* laced up her sneakers at 6 AM and ran again.

    I think it was Fred Rogers who said "Look for the helpers" There are always helpers, look to them, as they are God in action.

    ReplyDelete